House Bill 2307 in 1999 created the Master Reading Teacher Grant Program intending to increase the reading ability of Texas school children, particularly those in high needs campuses.
Definition: A Master Reading Teacher is an individual who holds a Master Reading Teacher Certificate and whose primary duties are to teach reading and to serve as a reading mentor to other teachers.
Eligibility: The Master Reading Teacher Certificate may be obtained in one of two ways:
A Master Reading Teacher teaches reading and mentors fellow teachers for the amount of time and in the manner established by the school district, in conformance with the definitions set forth in the Commissioner’s Rules.
The Region 13 Master Reading Teacher (MRT) certification provides training to teachers with a minimum of 3 years teaching experience the opportunity to become skilled teachers in the best practices associated with improving reading instruction for all students. The MRT program offers:
• Judy Butler - Dyslexia Specialist; Region 13
• Jennifer Johnson - Director of 504 Services and RtI; Comal ISD
• Thea Woodruff, PhD - University of Texas at Austin
• Alexis Juusola - Dyslexia support and MRT Field Supervisor; Region 13
Top TEN reason to choose ESC Region 13 MRT Certification Program
10. Weekend and evening training to meet your busy schedule.
9. Affordable program fees paid through payroll deductions.
8. Training by experts in the field of reading from the central Texas area.
7. Classroom support by a Region 13 MRT Field Supervisor.
6. Curriculum to enhance your teaching and to help you to meet the reading needs of all your students.
5. Preparation for the Master Reading Teacher certification exam.
4. Online and face-to-face training based on state standards and best practices for literacy.
3. Online video platform to receive coaching and mentoring from your field supervisor.
2. Mentor teachers on your campus to improve literacy school-wide.
1. Become a teacher leader on your campus.
MRT Certification Program is approved by Texas Education Agency and is subject to any changes mandated by the State Board of Educator Certification as well as other necessary program adjustments.
Note: All fees, rules and dates / times are subject to change and reflect information available at the time of posting – Feb. 26, 2018.