The Reading Specialist Certification Program builds district literacy leaders by working with candidates in and out of the classroom to bridge research and effective instructional practices, including serving students with diverse backgrounds and needs. The program's mission is to deepen the pedagogical content knowledge associated with providing evidence-based reading instruction essential to meeting the needs of all Texas students Pre-K-12.
Why choose the Region 13 Reading Specialist Certification Program?
All applicants must have:
The application for the 2020-2021 program will open soon. To receive updates on this program and the application date, please fill out this form: https://bit.ly/36rzFkE
The Reading Specialist Certification Program is taking the place of the MRT program. Read more below.
Effective September 1, 2019, as mandated by House Bill 3 (HB 3), the State Board for Educator Certification may no longer issue new or renew master teacher certificates. In addition, master teacher certificates already issued will be updated to include the word “legacy” as part of the certificate title. The implementation of HB 3 will impact educator preparation programs (EPPs), candidates seeking master teacher certification, and current master teacher certificate holders.
Please note the following key changes:
• Texas EPPs currently approved to offer master teacher certification in any of the four areas (Reading, Mathematics, Technology, and Science) must complete all certification-related activities before 9/1/2019.
• Candidates currently enrolled in a Texas-approved master teacher preparation program must complete all requirements for certificate issuance (including passing the test and submitting a complete application for certification with EPP recommendation) before 9/1/2019.
• Master Teacher examinations must be taken and passed, and results must be reported to the educator, the EPP, and TEA in time to meet the before 9/1/2019 deadline for certificate application and issuance.
• Master teacher certificates already issued will not be eligible to renew at the end of their expiration date.
• Current master teacher certificate holders will be eligible for placement into appropriate teaching assignments as identified in 19 TAC Chapter 231, Requirements for Public School Personnel Assignments, through the validity period of their certificates.
• Once the master teacher certificate has expired, it will not be eligible for renewal and the educator that previously taught using that master teacher certificate would need to hold another certificate appropriate for placement in the assignment to continue in his or her current role.