Since 2014, each school district must designate a TED (Transition and Employment Services Designee). The requirements for TEDs are outlined in TEC §29.011:
(b) The commissioner shall require each school district or shared services arrangement to designate at least one employee to serve as the district’s or shared services arrangement’s designee on transition and employment services for students enrolled in special education programs under this subchapter. The commissioner shall develop minimum training guidelines for a district’s or shared services arrangement’s designee. An individual designated under this subsection must provide information and resources about effective transition planning and services, including each issue described by Subsection (a), and interagency coordination to ensure that local school staff communicate and collaborate with:
To find contact information for a district or charter school in Texas, access the list of Transition and Employment Services Designees posted to the Legal Framework website.
If you are a TED for a district or charter school, you should have completed the 3 online transition courses which have been available through the ESC Region 11 website during the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 school years. If you have not had a chance to complete the 3 online courses, or if you are new to the TED role, you can now access these courses using the new links below.
To register for the TED Online Modules in their new location, please click on the title for each training topic:
• Texas Transition Online (3 CPE Hours)
• Texas Special Education Graduation Options Online (2 CPE Hours)
• Texas Transition and Employment Guide Online (1 CPE Hour)
Please note: If you have already completed the courses and have your certificate from Region 11 ESC, you are not required to retake the courses
• Student-Centered Transitions Network website: www.texastransition.org
• What Do I Need to Know? Comprehensive list of key elements and requirements for transition planning in Texas, with statutory requirements for TEDs noted
• Agency Linkage website: Agencies and providers throughout Austin and central Texas
• Transfer of Rights template available at no cost. Check with your special education administrative team and/or legal department before using this form to meet legal requirements: English version order form